birding-aus

Trip Report - SW Qld

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Trip Report - SW Qld
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:35:50 +1000
My wife and myself made a trip to over the Easter/Anzac period to South West Queensland. Primary target birds were Hall's Babbler and Gibber Chat. However, the plan was to see what else we could see birdwise and to travel back to the coast and see family and friends.

The route was Central Coast, Denman*, Dubbo, Bourke, Bowra (Cunnamulla)*, Eulo, Thargomindah, Noccundra*, Cunnamulla, St George*, Dalby, Kingaroy*, Maroochydore*, Coff Harbour*

* Stayed.

Highlights of the trip
  • Bourke - Red -tailed Black Cockatoo feeding in white cedars near our motel and along the Darling River.
  • 35 kms north of Bourke- a flock of 50+ Major Mitchell Cockatoos hassling a Whistling Kite. What a fantastic sight!
  • Bowra - David Geering wrote about his trip to Bowra some time ago on birding -aus. I'd endorsed every word  that David wrote. It is a terrific place to go birding and Julie and Ian make you very welcome. We stayed in the cottage which is very comfortable and made a great decision to get Julie to supply lunch and dinner. The meals were just great.
There is a artificial lake near the homestead which attracts a lot of bird life and even through the property is drought ravaged (please excuse the cliche but no other words are adequate), there are plenty of birds in the wide variety of habit on the property. I think Bowra may have got some rain over the Anzac weekend.

Birding highlights  were Hall's Babbler (as well as Chestnut and Grey crowned), Bourke's Parrot, White-browed Treecreeper, Crested Bellbird, Southern Whiteface, Mulga Parrot, Mallee Ringneck, Red-winged Parrot, Major Mitchell Cockatoo, Hooded Robin, Black Honeyeater and the Hobby hunting around the cottage.  We saw 55 species without a lot of effort. The bird list for the place is very impressive.
  • Noccundra - Gibber Chat 25 km SW and Bourke's Parrot 22 km sw and a few Km NE.
The Gibber Chat  was seen perched on the top of a drain near the edge of the road. I saw it well although briefly in the upright pose as shown in Pizzey and Knight with sandy coloured breast graduating to a yellowy face.  I applied the brakes and came to a halt in a cloud of dust which swept across the  Chat's position. When the dust cleared no Chat. Despite spending several hours at this site over that afternoon and the next morning, it was not sighted again. Very frustrating!!.
  • Cunnamulla - Black Breasted Buzzard near turn off to St George.
  • Bunya Mountains - What a fantastic place !! . Nothing special in terms of birds  - the usual rainforest species: Satin Bowerbird, Brown and Topknot Pigeons, Catbird , Yellow-throated Scrubwren etc. Unfortunately it was wall to wall people but it is our list of "must go back to places". Checked out the Thomas and Thomas tree for the Sooty Owl. Of course no but still of interest.
  • Checked out the T & T site at Yarraman for Black-breasted Button Quail. Plenty of fresh platelets but no birds. My experience would suggest Inskip Point is a more reliable site.
Traveled a touch over 4,000 km and had a great time.

Allan

Allan Benson
Ourimbah
NSW