birding-aus

Cleaning up oil spills article

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Cleaning up oil spills article
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 23:51:04 +1000
John,
If you want to know about cleaning Australian beaches ask the people at Phillip Island Nature Park.  They've had lots of practise cleaning the oil off our southern beaches of various sorts over the last couple of summers! - from sandy to rocky platforms.  Messy stuff !
They've also had plenty of practise cleaning up Little Penguins, which can be a long term project waiting from the to become waterproof after the washing with detergent to clean the oil off, provided they haven't ingested any of the oil which can kill them pretty slowly.  This year they had to clean one of the Hooded Plovers we've been trying to help protect from dogs, people,etc. with our Hooded Plover Watch.  As it was one of the parents of the only chicks likely to fledge on the affected beach this summer we were relieved to hear that it was able to be returned to its home beach within hours.  The chicks have survived so far and should fledge in the next few days - so we Hooded Plover Watchers might get a weekend off next weekend!  Maybe we'll be able to go to the WESBOC outing next Saturday.
Elizabeth Shaw
Surefppt Explorations
Phillip Island (Victoria - about 2hrs drive se of Melbourne)