birding-aus

Rushworth State Forest Trip Report

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Rushworth State Forest Trip Report
From: Craig Doolan <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:05:29 +1000
This is a bit of a belated trip report from 05/03/03 around the Rushworth
area.  I headed off for a couple of hours birding in the direction of
Rushworth SF from Nagambie.  Only problem was I didn't actually know the way
and couldn't get hold of a map at the last minute so I don't think I ever
actually made the State Forest but that didn't prevent an enjoyable few
hours birding from the roadside.  The area was bone dry, with little to no
undergrowth anywhere and the first spot I stopped yielded only about 6
species on half an hour (galahs, magpies etc.) so on I drove until I saw
something fly across the road in front of me.  This species I stopped for
turned out to be a Grey Shrike-thrush but a flock of Rainbow Bee-eaters at
the spot led me to walk along the road for a while.  After a bit of time the
flowering eucalypts started to come to life with honeyeaters, including
Black-chinned, Brown-headed, White-plumed, New Holland and White-eared along
with a few Red Wattlebirds and Noisy Miners.  The trees were thick with
Little Lorikeets noisily flying through and feeding.

On one side of the road was a slope with some denser chest-high scrub that
proved to be home a couple of flocks of White-browed Babblers, Superb
Fairy-wrens, plenty of New Holland Honeyeaters and a small group of Speckled
Warblers hopping about on the ground.  All this coupled with a couple of
other nice birds such as Dusky Woodswallow, White-winged Chough, Common
Bronzewing and a majestic Wedge-tailed Eagle.  Lucky I stopped for that Grey
Shrike-thrush!

Craig Doolan

Full Species list;
White-faced Heron