birding-aus

European Goldfinches & Domestic Ducks

To: <>
Subject: European Goldfinches & Domestic Ducks
From: "Seb" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:46:06 +1100
Hi all!

I'm new to this list and just wanted to mention some worrying things I've been noticing in my local area. First thing is the increasing number of European Goldfinches in my area, particularly on and near the local wetland (On Lake Illawarra in the basin between Warrawong and Primbee). I haven't been observing too closesly but from what I've seen there is a large breeding colony here as I've seen many juveniles as well. This is pretty worrying as these wetlands seems to be an important breeding site for the native songbirds in this area.

Another thing I've noticed is the recent worrying dumping of 2 domestic Muscovy ducks in the wetland. There is a healthy population of Pacific Black ducks and quite a few Hardheads and Teals residing on this wetland so i was wondering if there is a chance of interbreeding like what happends with Pacific Blacks and Mallards?

This is an important wetland in my area so you can probably see why I'm worried...

Thanks!

~Seb