birding-aus

White-Winged Black Tern

To: <>
Subject: White-Winged Black Tern
From: jilldening <>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:56:51 +1000
  Dean Portelli  16/3/03 5:59 PM

> G'Day all,
>
> Following Jill Dennings posting I had a browse of Michael Morcombe's site
> and went to the page concerning the WWBTern. I take the individual shown to
> be a juvenile/immature bird - can anyone with a better knowledge of this
> species confirm this and provide a better description (i.e. precise plumage,
> e.g. first winter???)? I presume the photos with the waders are of the same
> bird as the video-grab shots on the website.
> Follow link to the tern page:
> http://www.michaelmorcombe.com.au/birdinfo10.html
Dean,
I also took this to be an immature White -winged Black Tern WWTE, and have
just sent you privately a jpg shot I took a year or two ago in January of an
immature which came into care in Noosa, SEQld.  Whilst I didn't see any
reference to the month of the picture on the website, it is consistent with
what I regard as a WWTE which has replaced its juvenile plumage with first
immature plumage, which, I understand occurs in August. I would guess that
the bird is 3-9 months old. I come into difficulty after the March,
following birth, when I am no longer clear of imm  plumage. It is difficult
in the field, as there is so much dark plumage on the adult birds anyway as
they come into breeding plumage. I am watching closely this year to try to
learn to differentiate just prior to departure.

At this stage I have no way of picking 2nd imm birds (ie over 12 months old)
when they arrive from the breeding grounds, if it can be done. I wonder if
there is anyone else lurking on the list, who might be able to cast some
light? Mike Carter?

cheers,

Jill
--