birding-aus

Mugga Ironbarks in western Sydney for Regent HE's, Swift Parrots etc

To: <>
Subject: Mugga Ironbarks in western Sydney for Regent HE's, Swift Parrots etc
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 05:01:24 +1100
Whilst driving through Castlereagh and Londonderry area (approx. 50 km west of CBD) late this afternoon, I thought I have a quick check on the good stands of Mugga Ironbarks and see how many are comming into blossom. I was thrilled to see most with plenty of bud and atleast 2 trees in flower and some trees with bud just about to open. This autumn could be another good season and a very good chance we'll see both Regent Honeyeaters and Swift Parrots in western Sydney. It will be worth checking from NOW ON as the Regent's wonder to find food and the Swift Parrots are due to arrive soon (I have seen the Swift Parrots in Sydney around Easter). There are other Eucalypts in flower throughout western Sydney such as Grey Box which are often just as good for Swift Parrots.

Any Swift Parrots in VIC yet? Are there any other areas in SE Australia which could be potentially good?

Edwin Vella