birding-aus

Re: RFI on Bird Hides

To: Terry Pacey <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: RFI on Bird Hides
From: jilldening <>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:58:54 +1000
  Terry Pacey  5/3/03 2:31 PM
> Any bird hide should
> cater for the disabled.  Wheelchair access should available and the
> construction should cater for wheelchairs as well.  It is also important
> that seating is available for those who are disabled but not confined to a
> wheelchair.
>
> Anyone constructing a bird hide without taking this into account COULD be
> breaching a number of Acts as well as being extremely inconsiderate.

Hi Everyone,
I'd like to add a comment to Terry's above. When I gave the design
parameters to the architects who designed the hides at the Kakadu Beach
wader roost on Bribie Island last year, I battled with the issue that Terry
outlined above. We provided wheelchair access and viewing apertures, but
were careful NOT to provide fixed seating along the front where the viewing
apertures were located. Instead we located fixed benches to the side, so
that people could have a rest, or bring their own chairs (as birders tend to
do) to view through the apertures. (It's worth providing seating that is not
too welcoming, as such places may attract picnickers and yobbos, the last
thing birders need.)

My reasoning was that our hides are for viewing waders. It can be extremely
irritating to come along with your scope and find that the seating is fixed
to the spot where you want to stand your tripod. I got a bit of stick from a
couple of people who wanted fixed seating behind the apertures, but I feel
that the way we did it was more appropriate in this instance.

For the person who asked this question, I stress that it is imperative to
have viewing for people of all heights. This is one point on which I came
undone at the Kakadu Beach roost. I asked the designers for apertures to
cover all heights, but somehow some cross timbers blocked out a few inches,
causing irritation to people of certain heights. I am still waiting for them
to be rectified, but I haven't exactly been nagging them. Must give them a
reminder.

Cheers,

Jill

--