birding-aus

"Birds" - a note of caution

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: "Birds" - a note of caution
From: "Valerie Curtis" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:45:18 +1100
Long, long ago when I was an able bush walker (about 20 years) I heard a
Superb Lyrebird in a deserted camping area, high in the Cathedral Range,
Victoria imitating the sound of metal tent pegs being hammered. It was so
realistic I searched for some hidden camper but found only an empty lyrebird
mound. In this location there would have been few other man made sounds
other than the human voice and footsteps. Why should the bird imitate this
one 'mechanical' sound?
I think it was probably over the Easter Holiday period so would have been
during the pre-breeding season 'practice sessions' (my own term). The LB's
here in Gembrook stick to the local birdcalls for their repertoire. I think
they include about 10 species but it's a long time since I counted them up
and I can't find any record in my ragged notes. At present they are just
using their own lovely song without any imitations.

Val Curtis