birding-aus

Collimation of Binoculars

To: "Joy Tansey" <>
Subject: Collimation of Binoculars
From: "Gordon Brook" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:42:17 +1100
Hi Paul & Others

It is hard to comment on circumstances experienced by others and in this case I find it difficult to know why dropping or bumping optics should occur more than once in a lifetime - if even that.
I wonder how much you paid for your binoculars? Not that I would want you to answer but if you bought a really good pair, the need for care might increase dramatically.

A price of $80 for re-collimation, which probably also included a service and cleaning, is very reasonable if done properly. The only way to carry out this tricky task is either on an optical bench designed for the job or by using a modern electronic collimator.

Starting with number four in your list of points, don't do it. You would be lucky to find another hobby which is so rewarding. You can do it anywhere, anytime night or day and if it is your main interest, the main tool is the binocular.

I would recommend number three and buy the very best you can afford. Swarovski make the very best binoculars, so talk to me separately if you are interested.

Number two might be a possibility but I leave that to you.

Number one would drive you crazy with failure almost a certainty.

The very fact that you have had this trouble suggests to me that you do not use a good neck-strap. I used to import the ProHarness from the USA which was great in relieving the potential neck strain from a narrow neck-strap but manufacture ceased. There are some things you can do with a neck-strap to stop neck strain.

Best Wishes

Gordon
Ninox Binoculars & Telescopes

(02) 6649 1077 'phone\fax