birding-aus

birding at its best..!

Subject: birding at its best..!
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:20:50 +1100
I live in an apartment overlooking a golf course in northern Canberra. A
creek flows, more like dribbles, through the greens. A footpath wanders by
and over a bridge by a reedy pond.
Saturday morning I was sitting on my balcony enjoying the sun and sipping a
cold drink. Imagine my surprise when I noticed a crake like bird foraging
over the exposed mud on the pond. I quickly grabbed my binos and I was
looking at a Spotted Crake. It was visible for most of the day feeding far
from cover. The pond is slowly drying up and seemed to be attracting quiet
a few species I havent recorded before in the 2 years I have lived here.
While watching the Crake I spied an ibis. On closer inspection it turned
out to be a Glossy Ibis. Another tick for my 'backyard' birdlist. It was
later joined by a single White Ibis and a lone Straw-necked Ibis. All 3
species together. Minutes later a shape slowly moved along the grass bank
near the reeds - a Latham's Snipe!. Tick number 3 for the morning, and I
hadnt moved from my apartment. Surely birding doesnt get any easier than
this.
Although I didnt see the Crake the next day, the Glossy Ibis and Snipe were
still present yesterday. The usual birds were also present: up to 6 Purple
Swamphen feeding on the greens with Wood Duck, Grey Teal and Reed-Warblers
in the pond, and many others, although the resident Moorhen family seems to
have moved on, probably due to the low water level. My 'backyard' list also
includes highlights like Rufous Night Heron and Lewin's Rail.

Cheers

Marnix
NGUNNAWAL  ACT