birding-aus

Re: eucy flowering and nectarivorous birds

Subject: Re: eucy flowering and nectarivorous birds
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:16:03 +1100
Chris

Well, perhaps the bulk of the Swifties won't head as far north as the NSW
Central Coast after all.  The presence of lorikeets suggests that there
may be nectar in this blossom despite the dry.  I wonder, however, about
the honeyeaters.  Could it be that the blossom is dry and the lorikeets
are harvesting pollen?  I don't want to be pessimistic but if there was
nectar I would expect at least the local honeyeaters to be enjoying this
bonanza.  I only assume they weren't there because you don't mention them.

Is this an isolated flowering patch or is it likely that flowering might
be widespread through the Victorian Goldfields this winter?

Euc flowering patterns are a nightmare for those trying to predict them.

Cheers

David

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.