birding-aus

Calls of Black Kites

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Calls of Black Kites
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 21:13:05 +1030
I did not pay much attention during the recent postings on the calls of
Black Kites. This morning, however, I realised that I should have read the
postings more carefully.

I was out in our garden here in Murray Bridge (80km SE of Adelaide) when I
heard a raptor calling. Immediately I thought Whistling Kite as they are
common along the River Murray here.

A few minutes later 2 kites came overhead just above tree height and one was
calling, again like the Whistling Kite. They were, however, most definitely
Black Kites. I was able to get really good views using my binoculars.

Lesson: do not jump to conclusions and do not make assumptions about what
you are hearing.

Trevor Hampel