birding-aus

More on 'my tree'.

To: <>
Subject: More on 'my tree'.
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 21:35:33 +1100
I've had a few private comments on my birding antics relating to the large tree in my front yard...... so now it is time to 'come clean' on another happening relating to it.  Even slightly more embarrassing, if you can imagine it.

I've had a lot of noisy flying foxes sharing the pleasures of my flowering gum late at night (yes, I even stand for long periods looking up at night time too!).   Somebody interested in this asked me if they roosted there during the day, so a couple of weeks ago imagine my surprise to see a flying fox hanging at the top of the tree in broad daylight!!!!   Wow.....   Rushed inside, called the family out - including my visiting father-in-law (who already thinks I'm a little odd), phoned the local wildlife guru (Mike, that is you..) and relayed the exciting news over the phone.   I even brought the new video camera out and filmed it.   All ok so far.  Watching, watching intently through the binoculars and I slowly realise the wings look a bit tatty.  "Oh dear, I hope it is alright" I say as I strain for a closer examination.   Hmmmm, it does look in a bad way........

Well it would be, if it had been a flying fox.......... I slowly realised that amazingly, goodness knows quite how, a tatty black plastic bag is hanging in the uppermost branches of the tree, slightly wafting, oh so flying fox like, in the faint breeze.    Oh, HOW embarrassing.    Madly back on the phone before local wildlife people descended on the place.
I'm hoping I still have the video footage so I can prove just how stunningly convincing it looked like one.   Trust me, I'm a birder.......

Cheers,
Karen Pearson
Hampton, VIC.
(phew, I feel better now I've