birding-aus

NZ rarities going West?

To: birding-aus <>, Birding NZ <>
Subject: NZ rarities going West?
From: sav saville <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:01:25 +1300
Over the years many of the class NZ rarities have come from Australia (though I guess we are favoured by North American waders more than they are) - last year's Pacific Heron, Black-tailed Native Hen and the recent Red-necked Avocet being just some of the most recent examples. I just wonder if we might be starting to return the favour?

The Shoalhaven Canada Goose presumably came from here (and you Aussies are welcome to it as far as I am concerned), but was it a coincidence that our first ever Franklin's Gull was followed by the individual in SA just a week or so after it went missing here? And I have just seen photos of Rohan Clarke with a Chinstrap Penguin on Macquarie Island (yesterday) - so now we know where the bird from Kaikoura has gone !?

Sav Saville
Feilding NZ