birding-aus

Nankeen Night Heron Sunbaking

Subject: Nankeen Night Heron Sunbaking
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:35:36 +1100

Last night at about 6pm, I saw a Nankeen Night Heron down at Buckleys Falls on the Barwon River in Geelong, Victoria.

It was sitting on a large rock in the middle of the river, almost like it was basking in the sunlight, together with a White Faced Heron.

I managed to get quite a good look at it and some excellent photos, before it flew up onto a shady roost beneath the cliffs on the other side of the river.

Aren't these birds supposed to prefer the shady gleam of night? Has anyone ever observed a Nankeen Night Heron in broad day light like mentioned above?

Also, Whilst looking at the Heron, a Laughing Kookaburra took roost on an exposed brach above me, shortly followed by a group of about 10 Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos flying overhead. It didn't know what to take a picture of!!!!

Peter