birding-aus

Rufous Fantails

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Rufous Fantails
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:22:43 +1100
Thanks to all who have told me they have seen a Rufous Fantail in the Wattle Flat area of Royal National Park. It would seem that one is around and that is good but still of concern to me. The site used to be a regular breeding location. One does not seem to be the odds I like for successful breeding.

Today I did see two Rufous Fantails together! But not there. I was at the Sea Acres Nature Reserve at Port Macquarie. It was hard birding. The boardwalk does not open till 9.00am in in the heat the birds were very quiet and still quite early in the morning. Even the White Headed Pigeons were sitting in stillness.

Three incidents of note to report. We observed a Green Catbird take out a large praying mantis and virtually wrestle it to the ground before it began to devour its rather impressive meal. We also observed two Black Faced Monarchs mob a small Lace Monitor as it climbed up and into a liana thicket. The birds were calling and diving, fluttering around its head. I did not see the final result. At that point a Sacred Kingfisher was disturbed from the same location and came hurtling out. The goanna disappeared into the lianas. And third, I spotted on the floor of the rainforest  what at first look appeared to be a canary. It hopped after a male Yellow Throated Scrub Wren and took food from the Scrub Wren. Closer looks at the bird and there were all the markings of a Scrub Wren but pale. I presume this was albinism in operation. This bird was most visible and I can but wonder how long it will survive there on the rainforest floor.

Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine
NSW 2233