birding-aus

Duck shooters as conservationists

Subject: Duck shooters as conservationists
From: R & J Frankenberg <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:13:40 +1100
Sorry but I have to have another go at this.

Re Duck shooters as conservationists.  As I pointed out last time this
thread was discussed, in Victoria in the 60's, the first network of Game
Reserves (with shooting alowed in season) and Wildlife Refuges (no shooting)
were set up by the then Fisheries and Wildlife Dept with funds from duck
licences.  The Field and Game Assoc was active in lobbying for this to
happen.   It it was the first major reversal in the trend of 'land
improvement' by drainage of swamps.  These wetlands (as we call them now)
are still very important reserves, and would probably have been drained if
the source of funds had not been available to purchase and manage them.

A large number of duck nest boxes appeared all over the country at about the
same time, erected by each local Field and Game Club.  At least they were
trying to put something back.   I like the idea of allowing shooting only on
private land.  That would give wetlands a real value.

We have been  watching the flames on the horizon in Vic all evening-  I
think/hope the Chiltern Forest is still OK but a lot of forest to the east
is burning.  This will test the resilience of a lot of species.

Anyone with influence with the rain gods?

Judy Frankenberg

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and are
addressed. If you are not the original recipient, any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
If you received this email in error, please notify the sender.

This message has been scanned for viruses by the Dragnet CleanMail Service.