birding-aus

Canberra Fires

To: "John Walter" <>
Subject: Canberra Fires
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:13:38 +1100
Hi John & all,
As at today, there is more than "2 COG birdos have lost homes in the fires", I think it is about 5 or 6 houses that we know of so far but we haven't compiled a list yet in the confusion, but it seems it is starting, it will take a while. Today is still at risk on the northern suburbs. I see John mentions me (thanks) and sends this to BA. I'm OK (which is nice for me) but it was very scary here. In Kambah I was about 1 km away but the fires went right down to the fences of most of the houses on the suburban fringe. When you see that, it was an amazing fire fighting effort and bad as it was there sure is scope for it to have been even worse.

I just hear an interview on ABC Radio that Tidbinbilla have lost about 90% of their animals there. Though at this stage it wasn't specified which, they probably don't know breakup especially in the issue of numbers of sensitive (rare) species: rock wallabies, etc.

Philip