birding-aus

Re: A Tale of Two Tattlers

To: "Brian Everingham" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: A Tale of Two Tattlers
From: "Phil Straw" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:11:49 +1100
Hi Brian,

I don't see Birding-aus unless one of my minders forwards items of interest.

Yes I am here very busy working on wader conservation and surveys, behind a
computer screen! The likelihood of seeing a single Wandering Tattler in
Botany Bay is remote. The likelihood of seeing a dozen - well! not entirely
impossible. As for the identification criteria suggested by many. I have
seen up to fifteen Wandering Tattlers during one survey strung out between
Tweed Heads and Coffs Harbour and used none of the characteristics quoted.
The length of folded wings (longer) in proportion to tail is one useful
characteristic (except when primaries are in moult of course!). The colour
can appear a bit darker in the Wandering Tattler but sometimes a browner
tinge, at least earlier in the season. The moult sequence is different to
Grey-tailed Tattlers but it is getting late in the season to use this.

We will be visiting the area on Saturday when the NSW WSG carries out its
monthly wader count and will certainly be looking out for the Tattlers as we
do every month.

On 2 February you will have the opportunity of seeing a number of Wandering
Tattler photographs during my talk at the end of the CBOC field outing at
Botany Bay on World Wetlands Day (2 February) for more details contact Keith
Brandwood, Activities Officer, CBOC Tel: 4575 1514,

Phil