birding-aus

Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe, Vic.- Postscript

To: Jennifer Spry <>
Subject: Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe, Vic.- Postscript
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:23:04 +1100
Jennifer Spry wrote:

> At about 12.00 PM I went down to Chelsworth Park looking
> for the Spotless Crake that had been mentioned a few weeks ago. I found the
> Crake where it had been reported, in the pond down by the batting nets.[ie
> the Reed Billabong] It was right in the corner to your left as you face the
> pond. It should be there for a while as it has moulted all its primaries
> giving a rather odd emu-wing effect.
>
> Further toward the batting nets were a group of mature White-browed
> Scrub-wrens in full plumage. I found Grey Fantails along the[Bailey
> Billabong] to the left of the track from the Irvine Rd car park to the Sea
> Scouts memorial cairn.
> Jen Spry

After receiving this kind message from Jen Spry, I took the opportunity
provided by the need for a litre of milk, to call in at Chelsworth Park
on the way home c. 6p.m.
Viewing the Reedbed Billabong from the end of what I know as the Soccer
Field, even if it's currently used for cricket, I had a good view of the
Spotless Crake as it pottered about on exposed mud near the outlet of
the drain which runs throuh the centre of the sportsfields, past the
cricket-nets. It ddin't display its wings and was rather dull in colour
-perhaps an immature bird - no red eye. I admit the light was poor with
low cloud.
  I was very pleased to hear some quiet but unmistakeable Reed Warbler
song. Up till about 1980, they bred here; so did Little Grassbirds. I
suspect today's birds are refugees from some other swamp, now dry.
  The Little Grassbird was calling from the lowest pond in the Irvine Rd
Ponds on the Golfcourse, by the footbridge.
  A pair of Redrumped Parrots were feeding on the seedheads of Ribwort
Plantain and Flatweed 'clocks'.
  Several Grey Fantails were active along the plantings beside the Reed
Billabong.
 Anthea Fleming