birding-aus

Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe, Vic.

To: "" <>
Subject: Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe, Vic.
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:28:47 +1100
A quiet walk on Fri. 27th December -10.30 am. (Daylight Saving Time)
Conditions warm and still. Lots of walkers, joggers, cyclists and
dog-walkers.

Black Ducks on Bailey Billabong and Yarra
Wood Ducks likewise
Chestnut Teal - 6 on Bailey Billabong
Solitary Domestic Mallard drake, dilute colouring (about time it was
removed from Bailey B'bong!)
White-faced Heron - one bird seen twice in Bailey B'bong (or maybe 2
seen once each)
White Ibis - single bird perched on snag in Yarra
Dusky Moorhens -5 in Bailey B'bong, 2+ in Reed Billabong
Spotted Doves everywhere
Rainbow Lorikeets - some chewing Silver Wattle leaves (?for nectar), one
pair chewing top of broken-off dead wattle tree
Little Lorikeets - large flock in treetops
Redrumped Parrots - 6 or 8, inc. 2 young birds. Feeding on fallen Silver
Wattle seed and grass seeds
1 Rosella, prob Crimson, heard calling
Blue Wrens everywhere - coloured males numerous and conspicuous
White-browed Scrubwrens - most seen were young birds with indistinct
markings
Bell-Miners
Red Wattlebirds
White-plumed Honeyeaters
Yellow Robins very numerous, with young birds - two were still brown,
others with a few remaining brown feathers on heads, wing coverts and
breast speckles, among new adult plumage.
Golden Whistler - 1 splendid male
Grey Thrushes heard twice, different locations
Magpie-Larks
Willie Wagtails
Magpies on the golf-course
Welcome Swallows
Blackbirds inc several newly fledged
Starlings
Indian Mynahs
(27 species)
I am certain that if I had managed to get up earlier I would have seen
aseveral more species. I am rather puzzled as to why I found no Brown
Thornbills or Grey Fantails.