birding-aus

Colour-banded birds at Gluepot

Subject: Colour-banded birds at Gluepot
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:25:19 +1100
Alex Farias wrote "2 Southern Scrub Robins (one almost stepped on my toe). Both
birds had rings on both legs, the
rings were white purple and blue, (I'm wondering what the purple and blue
stand for, maybe female and male)."

I hope Alex reported this sighting to the ranger at Gluepot.  There is
obviously research being carried out on mallee birds at Gluepot and it is
important that this data be collated.

One thing anyone seeing colour banded bird ANYWHERE should be aware of is
the importance of correctly recording the band sequence.  This is critical
if the bird is to be individually identified - the bands as reported by
Alex indicate that these birds can be individually identified.  The
correct procedure is to note which bands are on which leg and which is
above the other eg.  White on RIGHT leg, blue over purple on LEFT leg.  I
doubt very much whether the actual colours denote sex of the bird although
this may be determined from identifying the individual bird - the sex
being determined from measurements taken at the time of banding (if the
species is sexually dimorphic) or by observation in the field later.

If you see a banded bird and do not know who is conducting the research
then it should be reported to the Australian Bird & Bat Banding Scheme -
PO Box 8, Canberra, ACT, 2601 or e-mail

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.