birding-aus

Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo behavior

Subject: Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo behavior
From: "Iain Woxvold" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 01:05:33 +0000
Hi Penn,

Nice bit of behaviour.
Seemingly 'altruistic' activities exhibited by birds have been the source of much inquiry since about the 1920s. Most investigations concentrate on cooperative breeding, where a bird provides parental care to an animal that is not its own genetic offspring. Much of this behaviour has been explained by the observation that the helper is often closely related to the bird it's helping to raise, thereby gaining genetic benefits, just as a real parent does. In addition, unrelated helpers can often expect a higher probability of future benefits, such as access to matings (not too unrelated) or territorial resources.

So it seems true altruism is difficult to find (sigh), and most animals considered engaging in such behaviour are thought to have been duped, like many birds rearing obviously unrelated cuckoos. One great early photograph (1920s?) shows a bird feeding a goldfish in a pond!

But who really knows what was behind the rosella's action? Flock activity leads to safety in numbers - more eyes to spot a goshawk, etc. - and may lead to tolerance of otherwise unacceptable behaviour, like pinching candy from the beak of a baby. On the other hand, preening and cleanliness can't be understated in the natural world, with birds apparently dropping from trees due to parasite overload. Perhaps everyone's a winner.

Iain