birding-aus

Eastern Spinebill in Eastern Gardens Geelong

Subject: Eastern Spinebill in Eastern Gardens Geelong
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:19:36 +1100
Eastern Spinebills are locally common in the older parts of Geelong, and are
usually present in the Botanical Gardens.  I haven't been there since the big
refurbishment (shame on me!) but a good spot for ESpinebill used to be right in
the middle - walking along the central avenue you'd be fairly sure to see them
about half way along, darting from tree to tree or hanging off of calistemon
etc.  This is also one of the good spots for Pink Robin (just the brown birds
unfortunately) in the winter.

I'd imagine you'd get Eastern Spinebill in some of the old domestic gardens
around town - I've seen them at my school in Newtown only a few times, and
there are plenty of places with old, large gardens around there.  Have a look
at Trevor Pescott's  "Birds of Geelong"
for more info - it's a must fo anyone living here.  Mine's packed already so I
can't tell you what he says about ES.

Russell Woodford

 on Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:09:40 +1100 wrote:
> Hi All
> I just went for a stroll through the Geelong Botanical Gardens in my
> lunchbreak, and it seemed like it was going to be a rather quite
> day on the birding front.
> Plenty of Red wattlebirds playing in the trees, with the occasional willy
> wag, starling and mudlark on the lawns.
> I then heard a tiny squeak coming from the trees and a small brown bird(my
> best description :) was hopping in the undergrowth, concealing itself from
> my view but constantly chirping away. While i was tracking it, trying to
> get a picture (the  gloomy day making it very hard), two honeyeater like
> birds flew into the tree above me.  I managed to get a couple of photos,
> as they sat up in the tree for a moment , but then flew off to the other
> side of the gardens.
> Looking at the photos, I believe its an Eastern Spinebill.
> Are these common in the Geelong area?  I've never set sight on such a
> unique bird around these parts.
> Peter

---
Russell Woodford
Music & Info Systems
Sacred Heart College Geelong

http://web.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/music/auralonline.html
VCE Music Mailing List:

This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email.
If received in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all
copies. The College does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.
The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the
user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting
directly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence
of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this email are not
necessarily those of the College.