birding-aus

Eastern Spinebill in Eastern Gardens Geelong

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Eastern Spinebill in Eastern Gardens Geelong
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:09:40 +1100

Hi All

I just went for a stroll through the Geelong Botanical Gardens in my lunchbreak, and it seemed like it was going to be a rather quite day on the birding front.

Plenty of Red wattlebirds playing in the trees, with the occasional willy wag, starling and mudlark on the lawns.

I then heard a tiny squeak coming from the trees and a small brown bird(my best description :) was hopping in the undergrowth, concealing itself from my view but constantly chirping away. While i was tracking it, trying to get a picture (the  gloomy day making it very hard), two honeyeater like birds flew into the tree above me.  I managed to get a couple of photos, as they sat up in the tree for a moment , but then flew off to the other side of the gardens.

Looking at the photos, I believe its an Eastern Spinebill.

Are these common in the Geelong area?  I've never set sight on such a unique bird around these parts.

Peter