birding-aus

Ground Cuckoo-shrike? and Little Corella in NSW

To: "Alan Morris" <>
Subject: Ground Cuckoo-shrike? and Little Corella in NSW
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:01:12 +1000
Dear Alan and others

I'd be grateful for your views on a couple of sightings made in northern
NSW last weekend.

We were at a property called "Brooklyn" out of Urbanville/Woodenbong. It was
basically a 4WD driving course, but of course I was birding as well.

Sunday morning (1 Dec, c. 7.30am), I was waiting outside the toilet block, without binos or even spec, when a large greyish bird flew by, making a mew, mew call. At the time I was stumped - it wasn't a bird of prey, or a parrot or pigeon and later I've come to think that it was most likely a Ground Cuckoo-shrike. It was certainly about that size, i.e. larger than a Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike and the general colouring, flight and call would fit although I didn't get a great look at it. The habitat was varied, Eucalypt/ Angophora woodland/forest with patches of rainforest but also a fair bit of more open (heavily grazed) fields. Not exactly the habitat I've seen GCShrikes in before, but I guess not
impossible.

The old Atlas shows few records from this area but I'm sure you have more up to date
info.

The second species was Little Corella, no doubt here about the id, we stopped on the road back to Urbanville on the Sunday afternoon and had a good look at them with binos. There was a flock of about 50 in a field next to the road, feeding on the fallen seeds of Hoop Pine.

I was particularly interested in this because I've earlier recorded both Little and Long-billed Corellas feeding on Hoop Pine seeds in the St Lucia campus of University of Queensland (Sunbird 31: 30-32, 2001). So it was interesting to see a "rural" flock doing the same thing.

Again the old Atlas shows few records of Little Corella from this area but, as in Qld, they may
have moved to the coast.

Your comments please.

Peter Woodall