birding-aus

Karagi Point , The Entrance NSW Little Tern Bulletin No 2 2002-2003

To: "Darryl McKay" <>, "Dellas Johnston" <>, <>, "Mark Westwood" <>, "Martin Smith" <>, "Mike Jarman" <>, "Paul Groh" <>, "Butler, Kevin" <>, "Wyong Shire Council - wscenv" <>, "Tierney, David" <>, "Munmorah Sub District" <>, "Tim Morris" <>, <>, "robin Benson" <>, "Robert Payne" <>, "Phil Straw" <>, "John McLennan" <>, "john carey" <>
Subject: Karagi Point , The Entrance NSW Little Tern Bulletin No 2 2002-2003
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:25:15 +1100
KARAGI POINT, THE ENTRANCE, LITTLE TERN BULLETIN No 2

Nesting at the Karagi Point Little Tern Rookery is well an truly underway with 32 clutches having been found since 15 November 2002. The first chicks hatched on 1 December and 13 chicks from 5 clutches have now been known to have hatched. At least 11 of the 13 chicks have been observed in the past 2 days, the other chicks could be present but there is a lot of small hilly dunes with marran grass where the main part of the colony is located and it is hard to find the chicks from outside the fence. The prospects appear to be good for the next few weeks, particularl;y as the School Holidays do not begin until 21 December when pressure on and interference with the colony will greatly increase.

So far 6 clutches have disappeared, three being washed away in high seas (all these were located outside the fenced area) and the other three have disappeared for reasons unknown, although one of these was also located outside the fence.

Some of the birds are colour banded viz
1. L Dk green /light green, R white/metal
2. L light green/light green, R black/metal
3. L light blue/black, R metal only

If any one can give us details of banding data we would appreaciate it.

14 members of the Central Coast Group of Birding NSW are undertaking the monitoring of the colony and we would welcome the assistance of any more volunteers.

At this stage I am only aware of 3 other colonies in NSW, viz Towra Point, Wallaga Lake (details not known) and 14 pairs nesting at  Tuross Heads on 14/11/02. I would be happy to hear of other colonies and their progress.

Alan Morris
Organiser