birding-aus

LITTLE OR RED CHESTED BUTTON QUAIL? IN SYDNEY

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: LITTLE OR RED CHESTED BUTTON QUAIL? IN SYDNEY
From: "Kate,Kurt,Elliot Lindsay" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:49:59 +1100
hey folks
as i was walking home today through the betty archdale walkway in Wahroonga,(10 mins from sydney)
I noticed a currawong feeding on what looked like a bird and when i got closer i noticed it was a quail of some sort.
When i pcked it up it was quite warm, it had no leg bands but a nasty gash on the head.
I looked through the books and found it could either be a little button quail or a  red chested button quail.
the red is mainly just around the neck and on the rump, but it is more of a buff colour than a red.
It is not a painted button quail for it has no spots and i am very familliar with them.

The habitat is suitable for a quail like species with lots of hedges etc.
Could any one give me some help!