birding-aus

topsy-turvy (Sanderling numbers)

To: <>
Subject: topsy-turvy (Sanderling numbers)
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:38:56 +1100
I've sent a brief reply to Marilyn Davis privately. I'll post what I hope to
be an equally brief (and final) response publicly.

Firstly, wholehearted apologies to those who are thoroughly bored by this
topic and my own role in probably perpetuating the garbage by responding.

Second, as I've said repeatedly, my problem is not with those whose views
differ from mine. Dean Portelli and Karen Pearson have made perfectly sane
and rational contributions to the subject of bird banding and shown
considerable courage in doing so.

I do have a problem with certain person(s) who seem determined to abuse the
list for their own ends, making unsubstantiated allegations and personal
attacks on others. I'm quite willing also to accept criticism that I
shouldn't let myself get sucked in by it.

I would, finally, wholeheartedly support Lawrie Conole's request for Russell
Woodford to filter the debate henceforth, not as an act of censorship but to
avoid further unnecessary repetition. To be truthful I'm rather embarrassed
to be shooting up the leaderboard of B-A contributors on account of what
should really be a dead issue.

Beyond that, I would only add that Marilyn's contributions to birding-aus,
this one included, say far more about her than I.

I'll pre-empt Russell here and say let's all get back to talking about birds
and birding, Marilyn and myself included.

Thanks, AS