birding-aus

Birds in the drought

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Birds in the drought
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:41:22 +1000
We used to be on Lockyer Creek, but the current drought has reduced it to a
billabong, and the view from the verandah of what is usually a gently
flowing stream has been replaced by a patch of drying mud to the left,
balanced by a pool of muddy water to the right.

The birds around the garden remain much as usual at this time of year -
already over 100 spp for the month, and even the creek itself is still
birdy, albeit in a different way. My first glance out from the house
this-morning revealed a convention of large waterbirds. Three Little Egrets,
two Great Egrets, two Royal Spoonbills, one Yellow-billed Spoonbill, two
White Ibis, and a striking Nankeen Night-heron - all on the muddy fringe or
in the shallow water. Each of these birds was managing to reap something
from its favoured niche in this small and seemingly, to our eyes,
temporarily impoverished area, without any serious inter-species
competition.  A few Hardhead were there too, diving repeatedly into the
vegetation-rich shallows, and a couple of Black Duck. Two Eastern
Water-dragons were on ominous standby, maybe waiting for one of the two
remaining the Black-faced Dotterel chicks to wander close enough to be
grabbed.

Just now, around 11am, perhaps in preparation for the day's heat to come, a
big water-dragon has requisitioned a bird-bath, sprawling there immersed to
the exclusion of any other would-be drinkers or bathers, his long tail
reaching halfway to the ground.

Several of the local lagoons, lakes and farm dams have dried up completely.
Consequently, those that do have water are attracting more than their usual
share of birds. Yesterday morning, a nearby farm dam held 29 'waterbird'
spp, (i.e. ducks, cormorants, herons, rails, waders etc), including a very
smart Hoary-headed Grebe, not at all common around here.

Glancing out of the window again, I see that the dragon has departed the
bird-bath, leaving only a remnant puddle of water behind - in which two
Speckled Warblers are now splashing about in a sort of mutual frolic. It's a
lovely sight, which has suddenly got me worried. However, this is the only
part of the garden where the dragons' and the warblers' respective
territories overlap, and of the several water-dishes spread around the
garden, this is the only one the water-dragons ever come to, and that only
on a few hot days of the year, whereas the Speckled Warblers visit all of
the others.

I suppose that if the bird-bath in question was a water-hole it would be
just as dangerous a place for wildlife to frequent, as indeed is the creek
itself.
Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056