birding-aus

Summer visitors at Mount Isa

To: "Birding Aus Messages" <>
Subject: Summer visitors at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 18:31:47 +1000
g'day all,
The Dollarbirds are building up in numbers from first arriving 3 weeks ago.
I heard a single Common Koel a week ago and today heard them at half a dozen locations. I hope this rain/storm bird converts today's clouds into rain ! But no sign yet of the other rain/storm bird, the Channel-billed Cuckoo Perhaps we need both species calling in concert to get rain ?

A few Common Greenshanks have arrived and are feeding along pools in the Leichhardt River and the Sewage Ponds.

Some other news ..
A pool 300m South from the City centre has a pair of Black Swans, with the normal waterfowl. It is occasionally also visited by a Jabiru that slowly walks up to the low bridge at the south end of the CBD. It is probably the same one that parades up and down opposite the Moondarra Caravan Park.

The Cloncurry Parrot race of Ringneck is a permanent resident at our Golf Course. This morning a couple of pair were chatting each other up. On Wednesday 10-12 were feeding on the 1st green. It must be mating season as my golfing partner got dive bombed by a Magpie.

A pair of Spotted Bowerbirds are building a new bower a little distance from one that was abandoned earlier in the year. It is alongside the Railway line, 200m from my home.

Regards,
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Queensland.