birding-aus

Urgent - Spring hunting on Malta must not be tolerated by the EU

Subject: Urgent - Spring hunting on Malta must not be tolerated by the EU
From: "david camilleri" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:01:48 -0500
I, and I am confident the majority of the Maltese, would be grateful
if all subscribers would act on this message and pass to their
friends and contacts.

<.....>
The announcement that, after Malta's accession to the EU, Maltese
hunters will be permitted to shoot Common Quail and Turtle Dove in
Spring, can not be allowed to stand unanswered and unopposed!

All conservationists know that:

-   Maltese hunters will simply use this exception as a cover for
their annual carnage of migrant European bird species.
-   Illegal hunting will not be actively and energetically
prosecuted.
-   Other EU hunters, especially in France, Spain, Italy, and the
European hunters' organisation FACE, will press for exceptions for
their countries as well.
-   The EU Bird and Habitat Directives will lose their effectiveness.

This state of affairs is unacceptable. We must do all in our power
to oppose it and persuade the EU Commissioners and member states to
rescind the exceptions (derogation) for Malta. YOU can do this by
going to:

< http://www.proactnow.org/malta/id26.html >

Use the text provided, or your own words or national language, to
show the EU Commission and national ministries that their is wide
spread opposition to this unnecessary and undemocratic decision and
to persuade them to reverse it.

David
--
David Conlin
Proact International, campaigning for birds and their habitats ....