birding-aus

Qld Twitch

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Qld Twitch
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:08:17 +1100
Had another good Twichathon experience last weekend.Our team (Wandering Gang Gangs) got 146 species, 4 more than last year.No idea how we compared with other teams, but I see Roy Sonnenburg's team have claimed victory. We confined ourselves to the Sunshine Coast starting at Cooroy and finishing at Beerwah/Landsborough on the Saturday and then starting at Bribie Is on Sunday and finishing in the (very dry) rainforest at Mary Cairncross Park,Maleny. We concentrated on water bodies mainly. No Little Bittern this year, our best bird was probably Logrunner, a pair foraging at Mary Cairncross. The other highlight was seeing a White-throated Gerygone feeding two young out of the nest at Cooroy Sewerage Works, where we also heard Little Grassbird and saw 5 adult Rufous Night Heron flying and soaring over the ponds in the middle of a hot afternoon. We missed some very common birds including Yellow-tailed Black cockatoo and Aust. Kestrel.

        Flock of 20+ White-throated Needletails over Landsborough early Mon. morning.Will try to mix cricket with birding again this w'end at the Gabba, perhaps another peregrine will appear, but only half the wars.

         Russ Lamb, Maleny,SEQ