birding-aus

re: Am Golden Plover

Subject: re: Am Golden Plover
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 02:55:14 -0500
Hi All,

A reply on the mail I recieved from Tony palliser!

May I be so bold as to suggest that there is an error in your recent note
suggesting an American Golden Plover?  *Thats right, I made an short e-mail
because I was limited in time!*
Firstly the overall greyish tone is completely normal for Pacific Golden Plover
at this time of year, most birds will show the expected golden tones but at
this time of year one should expect a few to appear greyish to a degree not
unlike a Grey Plover. *Im aware of that problem, but the greyish was
remembering to the greyish of Grey Plover, a few black feathers are remaining
in the scapulars, the greyish colour is greyer than any pacific I ever seen in
my live*
Further more the shorter primary projection would suggest PGP not AMP.  I am
not suggesting that you definitely did not see AGP but thought it appropriate
to point out that a lot more information would be required before a conclusive
result could be reached. * That right that was the error in my e-mail the
primary length is long, longer than surrounding Pacifics!*

Are all the tertials present? (on each wing there should be three obvious
ones staggered in length plus a less obvious relatively short forth one
partly visible beneath the longest one). *They where al present!*

*I showed my video to Andrew at Kingfisher Park and to Andy Anderson and few
others they agreed that the bird looks like an American Golden Plover and is
not a Pacific, and because of the greyish underwings also not an Grey Plover.
With the expierence I got from few Americans and loads of Pacifics and Eurasian
Golden Plovers I studied the last years I pretty sure that my videograbs of the
bird will convince the Australian Rarity Commity,and Im will sent it in when im
returned back in Europe*
I read a lot about American & Pacific Golden Plovers the last years and found
few Pacifics in Holland a couple of years ago, so im considering myself and my
birding pall as expierenced a bit in this difficult material!

Cheers, Justin Jansen