birding-aus

Am Golden Plover

Subject: Am Golden Plover
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 05:18:50 -0500
Hi all,

Today I got the chance to study again loads of adult Pacific Golden Plovers and
videod them,when I looked to the video grabs of the plover of Lady Elliot at 31
october,I can confirm it is indeed an nice adult moulting American Golden
Plover. The bird is very greyish,got shorter primary projection than Pacific (5
%), got the toes not behind the tail in flight, Spotted Redshank call
(different than Pacific, heard them well today at the Esplanade at
Cairns),distinct supercilium (different than Pacific) and slender in size. And
of course the greyish underwing (to excluded an odd Grey Plover).
The bird we found nearby the lighthouse between Pacific Golden Plovers.
Further we recorded in Australia from 22 october to now (3-11) about 280
species. Highlaghts where Regent Honeyeater (10) and Plum-headed Finch at Glen
Davis, Rufous Scrub-bird at the Pensioners Track at Lamington, Lewins Rail at
Dharug, Southern Cassowary at Mission Beach (adult with young), Eastern
Bristlebird (Barren Grounds),Satin Flycatcher (Warriewood in Sydney),Paradise
Riflebird (Lamington), Golden Bowerbird (Mt Spec), Eungella Honeyeater 2 (end
of Chelmans Road at Eungella) and today 2 nice Red-necked Crackes at the
Boardwalk at the Cenentary Lakes at Cairns!

Cheers, Justin Jansen