birding-aus

Twictchin'

Subject: Twictchin'
From: REID Colin <>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:43:56 +1000
>       My first experience - the big twitch! Last minute decision to go it
> alone.....
>       Started at the edge of Wivenhoe Dam west of Brisbane, not very far
> west, as I didn't fancy being out in the dry Lockyer at midday and I was
> on storm standby for my job so had to be within relatively easy reach of
> Brisbane!
>        I had never actually birded this area before so arrived an hour
> early to find the best place. Found a side road to Billie's Landing and
> decided it was as good as anywhere. Ahhhhh 11.40 - Brown Falcon hanging
> high - slowly slipped out of sight as midday approached.....
>       12.00 and a good start - lots of water birds - Coot, Dusky Moorhen,
> Cattle and Intermediate Egrets, Hardhead, Black duck, Darter, Great
> Crested Grebe and the like. Once cleared those, checked out the bush in
> the immediate vicinity - Willy Wagtail, Red-backed Wren, Swallow and both
> Martins, then, yeah, great - a pair, no three, White-winged Trillers!
> Cisticola indignant; are they White-naped or White-throated Honeyeaters
> (white-throated in the end) - oops flushed a Night heron - excellent!
>       Finally exhausted the immediate area so headed along the Brisbane
> Valley Highway to check out a little bit more of the Wivenhoe margins -
> Glossy Ibis in the distance, Whistling Kite over the hills, that is a
> Spoonbill on that mudbank but...... it's asleep so don't know what species
> and too far away to wake!
>       Started up the hill towards Mt Glorious stopping anywhere there was
> water - Rufous Fantail, Grey-shrike Thrush, Koel calling (does that
> count?) Rufous Whistler, Myna, Figbirds, Drongo, Red browed Finch. Bits
> 'n' pieces here and there. Near the top - Bellbird colony, noisy buggers.
>       I had decided to try the rainforest at Mt Glorious in the hopes of
> Pitta, Logrunner ect. - figuring at this time of day birds would,
> possibly, be more active in cooler forest..... No such luck - probably too
> many people. Golden Whistler the only 'twitch' in the forest - Wompoo
> Fruit Dove calling, but not seen. Moved on at 3.00 to Manorina guessing I
> wouldn't make the whole walk (about 2.5 hrs birding style) picked up Pale
> Yellow Robin, King Parrot, Crimson Rosella, White-throated Treecreeper.
>       Had arranged to meet my, non-birding, partner for tea at Jolly's
> Lookout and try some spotlighting. ( Driving there nearly ran off the edge
> trying to see a pair of Satin Bowerbirds!) Cooked a couple of small steaks
> on a portable barbeque in the carpark (total fire ban in Qld at present)
> well away from any timber/trees etc. No luck spotlighting but did have a
> GREAT view of a Tawny Frogmouth half way down the hill on the way home &
> the adrenalin pumping experience of chasing a 5ft carpet snake off the
> road so he/she wouldn't become another statistic. Didn't want to leave the
> warm bitumen and was quite agressive is saying so!
>       Sunday - slept in, damn, didn't get to Samsonvale lake until 6.00.
> [...]

This email message (including any file attachments transmitted with it)
confidential and legally privileged information. Any unauthorised
review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this email
(including any attachments) by an unintended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by
return email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Any confidential or legal professional privilege is not waived
or lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.
ENERGEX accepts no responsibility for the content of any email
which is sent by an employee which is of a personal nature.