birding-aus

Oh Canada

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Oh Canada
From: Craig Doolan <>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:37:33 +1000
I'd be somewhat dubious about the Canada Geese being 'drawn' to Australia by
some perceived ecological need currently lacking in Shoalhaven Bay.  Despite
being no expert on the ecology of Australian geese I'd also wonder as to
whether they play a particularly significant role in seed dispersal,
although I'd be happy to hear from someone a bit more qualified that I in
that regard.

I'm with Laurie and others about the need to remove feral pests as soon as
we are confronted with them.  The idea that just one cannot cause any
problems, while obviously with some logic, is also fraught with danger.  A
large obvious bird such as a Canada Goose is not too difficult to track and
lack of speed in it's removal may not be a great concern but for other birds
this may not be the case.  The need for a consistent policy in the removal
of exotic birds as soon as they are discovered would be a positive proactive
response however small the chance of a feral population becoming
established.

The idea that they should not be removed straight away for the benefit of
birdwatchers seems a somewhat ridiculous, if not unfamiliar, response.  It
brings back memories of the House Crow in Phillip Island a few years ago.
Without wanting to go into the dubiousness of the 'tick' (the bird is, if
not an escapee, a vagrant from an area where it is a feral pest), I would
take the purist attitude that it does not belong here and as it could easily
be removed, so it should be done.

Craig Doolan

Conservation Extension Officer
Community Bushcare