birding-aus

Trip Report South West WA

To: <>
Subject: Trip Report South West WA
From: "R Benson" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:19:48 +1000
Dear All

I recently had a trip to Bunbury WA competing in the Australian Masters Hockey Championships from 29 September to 12 October and stayed for a further 5 days with the objective of locating a number of the South West WA birds that I missed on a previous trip in 1998.Target species included Noisy Scrub-bird, Western Bristlebird and Western Whipbird.

Limited time was available for birding in the first two weeks however we did manage a number of day and half day trips and had time to bird in the Bunbury area. Weather during this time was quite variable with a number of days having extremely strong winds which I understand is not unusual for the area.

Birds of interest in the Bunbury area included Short-billed Black Cockatoo, Western Rosella, Tawny-crowned H/E, Western Ringneck, Elegant Parrot, Osprey, Banded Lapwing and Common Sandpiper. For anyone visiting Bunbury I recommend a visit to the Big Swamp Wildlife Park. Entry is only $5 and there are a number of bird aviaries including a large free flight aviary. Of particular interest was an aviary that had the 3 species of Corella side by side. This greatly assisted me in the identification of the Western Corella which I thought I had seen on my previous trip to WA. Having compared the birds I quickly reached the conclusion that the previous birds I had seen were Little Corella.

Across the road from the Wildlife Park is " The Big Swamp " which is an excellent wetland with a 2 km walking track around the perimeter and also a board walk in one section and a bird hide. Birds of interest at this location included Blue-billed, Musk and Australian Shelduck and also Australian Shoveller, Hoary-headed, Australasian and Great Crested Grebe. The latter were in courtship display which was great to view at close range. Other birds included Swamp Harrier, Clamorous Reed Warbler and Sacred Kingfisher together will the usual wetland species.

Armed with information provided in a posting by Frank O'Connor I did a day trip from Bunbury to Rocky Gully ( between Manjimup and Mt Barker ) to search for the Western Corella. I had no luck on this occasion however I had a good days birding and added Wedge-tailed Eagle, Scarlet and Hooded Robin, Emu, Western Yellow Robin, Shining and Pallid Cuckoo as good birds to the trip list.

On trips to Busselton, Cape Naturaliste, Yallingup, Augusta and Cape Leeuwin I added Sooty and Pied Oystercatcher, Crested Tern, Caspian Tern, Pacific Gull, Whistling Kite, Pied Stilt and at Sugarloaf Rock near Cape Naturaliste 8 Red-tailed Tropic Birds. A flock of Little Corella were seen adjoining the main road at Busselton and this appears to be at the southern edge of their range.

On another day trip with the family we travelled to Manjimup, Pemberton and Walpole stopping at Diamond Tree Lookout. This is the same configuration as the Gloster Tree with bars driven into the tree to enable you to reach the top at a height of 54m.Birds at this location included White-breasted Robin, Red-winged Wren, White-naped H/E and Long-billed Black Cockatoo near Pemberton.

As my NSW team did not make the finals I left Bunbury at lunch time on Saturday 12 October and headed for Albany and Two Peoples Bay with the intention  of again searching for the Western Corella in the area of Lake Muir and Rocky Gully on the way. This time I had success locating a flock of 12 birds approximately 22km west of Rocky Gully.

After checking into a motel at Albany I arrived at Little Beach with the intention of staying to dusk with the hope of seeing Spotted Nightjar on the return journey. Despite many outback trips this bird had eluded me. As the sun set I heard a Western Whipbird calling strongly and regularly in the heath approximately 150m above the Little Beach car park. An old fire trail gave reasonable access to the area and eventually I had a brief view of the head of the bird before it dived back into the heath. My good fortune continued as I found a Spotted Nightjar in the middle of the road just after leaving the car park. Great views as it remained on the road for some time and then flew off showing the wing pattern.

The excitement was not all over as in the next two minutes whilst travelling at less than 50kph a small kangaroo leap in front of the hire car from dense vegetation and collided with the front of the vehicle. Fortunately the roo bounced off and there was no damage to the vehicle or apparently the roo. These could have been very expensive birds.

Back at Little Beach the next morning at 4.45am ( after a very careful drive ) looking for the Western Bristlebird. Success with excellent views of a bird above the car park. Tried for the Noisy Scrub-bird at " Scrub-bird rock " without success and moved onto Cheynes Beach which is Frank O'Connor's recommended site for this species. Other birds at Little Beach included Southern Emu Wren, Sea Eagle and an Elegant Parrot on power lines near Hunton Road on the trip out.

I had previously booked an on-site cabin at the Cheynes Beach Caravan Park. I found this an excellent facility and the park owners are aware of the locations for the key species. For the benefit of interstate visitors they also hire linen if required. The advertisement that I read indicated you had to supply your own.

From my cabin you could hear the Noisy Scrub-bird calling and on the first afternoon at 5.30pm I located a bird calling on the edge of Cheynes Beach Road in a 3m high Peppermint bush. I had a good view of the bird calling with it's tail cocked. This bird had a white throat and was consistent the description of the bird observed at this location by Frank O'Connor in May of this year. At 5.30am the next morning I again had good views of the same bird as it ran along the ground between cover at the edge of the road. On each of the two occasions the bird was sighted within 5 minutes.

I spent considerable time along Cheynes Beach Road between poles 102 and 104 looking for the Rufous Field Wren without success. However I did get excellent views of Western Whipbird at pole 103 on two occasions. The vegetation is more open than Two Peoples Bay.

Other birds of interest at Cheynes Beach and surrounding area included Brown Quail, Little Wattlebird, Western Wattlebird, Red-capped Parrot, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Red-winged Wren, Shy Heathwren, Brown Falcon, White-naped H/E, Singing H/E, Common Sandpiper and Dusky Woodswallow.

A day trip to Fitzgerald River NP approx 180km east of Cheynes Beach yielded Crested Pigeon and Little Falcon along the way and some good birds at Fitzgerald River Bridge including Purple-gaped H/E, White-eared H/E, Southern Scrub Robin, Restless Flycatcher, Red-capped Robin, Rufous Whistler, Black-eared Cuckoo, Shy Heathwren and Crested Bellbird.

On the way back to Perth I stopped at the Stirling Ranges and did the Kanga Walk. New birds for the trip list included Regent Parrot, Purple-crowned Lorikeet, Collared Sparrow Hawk, Weebill, Western Thornbill and Spotted Pardalote.

I also visited Wungong Gorge near Perth and after some searching located a Red-eared Firetail.

Having obtained my target species more quickly than expected due in part to great weather I found myself with a day to spare and visited Rottnest Island. Here I added Common Pheasant to my Australian list and added a number of birds to my trip list including Peafowl, Rock Parrot, Banded Stilt, Red-capped Plover, Red-necked stint, Lesser Crested Tern and Fairy Tern. In Perth Rainbow Lorikeet and Spotted Turtle Dove were also added to the list giving an overall trip list of 139 with all target species located. Notable omissions were Rufous Tree Creeper and Blue-breasted Wren however I had seen both species on previous occasions.

Many thanks to Frank O'Connor for the information posted on his excellent website. The detail and accuracy of his information is wonderful and made for a most enjoyable trip.

Rob Benson