birding-aus

Mystery Bird

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Mystery Bird
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 05:36:55 +0800
Help!

In my exile in West Australia, I have twice seen a bird which utterly
defeats me. I felt that I has some knowledge of every Australian bird but
this one I can not match.

It is an Urban Bird - which cuts it down quite a lot. About the size of an
Australian Magpie, or a little smaller, I have seen two of them, one in
Subicao which is a inner Perth suburb to the west of the CBD, and one on the
outskirts of Albany. Both  times I have seen it on telephone wires as I
drove past and could not safely stop.

It is black and white, rather in the pattern, I think, of a Willie Wagtail,
with white in front and a wholly or almost wholly black back. It has an
upright stance with a very long and thin black tail hanging straight down.
It reminds me of some of the Ascitic Drongos or an Ashy Minivet.

I will try for another look today if it is around - the Perth one was near
my Gym. Meanwhile - any ideas?

Best Regards

Tim Murphy