birding-aus

Strange Parrot - DANGEROUS !

Subject: Strange Parrot - DANGEROUS !
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:45:19 +0800
At 22:39 13/10/2002 +1000, Mike Owen wrote:
The difference between the Psittacula in Australia and elsewhere in the
world is that we have an abundant native parrot population, well able to
out-compete exotic parrots for the limited nest hollows in suburban
areas - a Ringneck doesn't stand a chance against a Rainbow Lorikeet
when it comes to a fight over a nest hollow!   In addition colonies in
Europe and elsewhere are established from wild caught and imported
birds, well versed in survival techniques, whereas in Australia, where
importation of wild caught birds ceased around 1950, all our escapees
are aviary bred, and totally lacking in any survival traits except how
to find a seed dish on a shelf in an aviary.

It is interesting that no exotic parrots appear to have ever established
in the wild in Australia over the 100 years or more that they have been
present here.

Mike & others,

There was a colony of Ring-necked Parakeets eliminated near Albany in Western Australia earlier this year. I understand that there were 9 birds. I am uncertain how long they had been there. Perhaps it is the Rainbow Lorikeet that controls them elsewhere.

As far as Perth is concerned, we regard Rainbow Lorikeets and Long-billed Corellas as exotics, and their populations are still rapidly increasing. There are plans being considered to reduce their populations.