birding-aus

Swift Parrots at Lake Macquarie

To: Michael Todd <>
Subject: Swift Parrots at Lake Macquarie
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:06:41 +1000

Hi Mick, Dustin and other birders,
Collisions in the urban environment have certainly accounted for a large number of Swift Parrot deaths this year and I am always keen to hear about them so that they can be documented and be of some use in future prevention of fatal collisions.  I am not sure what the circumstances were at the house where the Swift Parrot collided however there a few simple things that can be done to make the windows a bit more bird friendly.  A few suggestions that may help include keeping blinds/curtains at least partially closed, place objects in the window to make it obvious there is a barrier there (eg pot plants, wind chimes, mobiles, stained glass ornaments, flowers) and making sure that where a room has windows on opposite sides at least one of them has the curtains shut so that there does not appear to be a flyway.  It is good to hear that the injured bird was given to WIRES and if Mick, Dustin or anyone else would like to help out wi th surveys for this species and/or protecting habitat in their local area please contact me and I can put you on our free mailing list (you will receive an annual newsletter from the recovery team, survey information, seasonal updates and the opportunity to participate in free community workshops).

On a more positive note, there are still about 150-200 Swift Parrots in the Lake Macquarie/Wyong area feeding in Forest Red Gums around Lake Macquarie and Budgewoi Lake.  Last week there were about 40 Swift Parrots at both the Nords Wharf Scout Camp area and Point Wolstoncroft recreation area as well as birds being scattered around Toukley, Gorokan and Buff Point.  I would be very interested to hear when they leave these areas since they should be heading back to Tassie to breed soon.

Cheers
Deb

Debbie Saunders
Swift Parrot Recovery Officer
National Swift Parrot Recovery Team
PO Box 2115 Queanbeyan NSW 2620
Ph: (02) 6298 9733  Freecall: 1800 66 57 66 Fax: (02) 6299 4281
email:

Please note:  The views expressed in this email may be those of the author and/or the Swift Parrot Recovery Team, and therefore are not necessarily views of the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.

Michael Todd <>
Sent by:

03/10/02 20:49

        cc:
        Subject:        [BIRDING-AUS] Swift Parrots at Kilaben Bay

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I reported that there were Swift Parrots around at Toronto
and Kilaben Bay on the northern end of Lake Macquarie (just south of
Newcastle in NSW- for the Victorians).

Well, a few days ago my nephew, Dustin Flack, picked up a badly injured
Swifty that had flown into a window at his home in Kilaben Bay. It was
taken to a WIRES carer but I understand that it died. I was pleased to hear
that they were still around but disappointed that one had died.

In mourning,

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.