birding-aus

Plenty of birds in S.W.QLD.

To: <>
Subject: Plenty of birds in S.W.QLD.
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:29:24 +0930
We had the most wonderful view of a pair of Square-tailed Kites last Sunday, right here at the house at tree top level. We had been seeing them in the vicinity for quite a few weeks and our last few groups of guests have seen a lone one.When we saw them on Sunday we watched them for probably 5 minutes and without having to use binoculars we could see such detail. Monty Schrader, a well known birdo from years ago, who was from this area, told Ian a long time ago that he used to see them about once a year, so we are very, very lucky to be seeing them a few times a week. Ian has an idea of the general area in which they are nesting, but hasn't really looked.
My little lake [or very large pond] at the quarters is proving to be a little treasure house for birds. I try and spend an hour or so down there a few times a week and one day I wrote down some of the birds I saw in an hour. As I drove down a pair of Blue-bonnets flew away from under the River Red Gums in front of the building and a Whistling Kite flew out of a tree at the edge of the water. I watched 4 Glossy Ibis for a long time and marvelled at the magnificent colours of their plumage. Black-tailed Native Hens and Eurasian Coots were busy feeding as were Black-fronted Dotterels. The red of the Dotterels beaks is absolutely brilliant.Wood Ducks,Teals and a pair of Pink-ears were having a bit of a rest on the other side of the water. {Our most recent visitors heard a White-eyed Duck but didn't see it}
Just as I was thinking about leaving I heard a bit of a splash a few feet away and a Spotted Bowerbird was having a lovely bath and a group of White-winged Choughs came in for a drink as did some Emus. A pair of Red-wings flew into a tree beside me and a pair of Mallee Ringnecks flew over and landed in a Wild Orange tree on the other side.A group of 5 Mulga Parrots came in for a drink at the same time and on the other side of the water I caught a bit of movement and a male Bustard was regally walking along in front of 3 females, all in single file, then a flock of probably 30 Major Mitchell's flew over and landed in a tree nearby.So as well as the Masked Lapwings, Fairy Martins, White-plumed Honeyeaters, Restless Flycatchers.Pee-wees, Magpies and Willie Wagtails that are there in great numbers the little lake is attracting plenty of other birds.
We're seeing quite large flocks of Cockatiels and we haven't seen them for a few years, the White-winged and Splendid Fairy-wrens are in breeding colours now, and we've seen Red-backed Kingfishers several times in the last month or so. The Rainbow Bee-eaters have been here for a few weeks now.
We think that the Bustards might breed here this year, which is exciting as it would probably be 50 years + since they have in this particular area.Our daughter saw a male displaying a few weeks ago, I wish that I had seen it as well.
Big long message I know, but nice things to write about.

Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490

PH.  O746551238