birding-aus

Whiskered Terns on Phillip Island

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Whiskered Terns on Phillip Island
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 23:20:12 +1000
On Sunday I was doing a tour with Denis Vernier (as mentioned in an earlier message in a trip report to Werribee).  I met him at Cranbourne station and had a great day finding about 75 species including about 10 of the 12 he hoped to see with me. Many of the 'specials' he wanted to see around Phillip Island were just where I hoped they would be first time e.g. Hooded Plover, Cape Barren Goose, Black-faced Cormorant, Kelp Gull, Little Penguin and Eastern Curlew.  He appeared well satisfied by the time I took him to catch the ferry back the mainland and train to the city.

As we drove onto Churchill Island there were about 10-12 terns fluttering over Fisher's Wetland, the relatively new freshwater wetland created on Phillip Island at the entrance to Churchill Island aabout three years ago.  This is proving to be a great birdwatching resource with many species rarely seen on Phillip Island becoming regular at Fisher's.  Denis identified these terns (which were new to me and as far as I can work out new to Phillip Island) as Whiskered Terns - he knew them well from France!

I returned to Fisher's today to check whether they were still there.  Yep! So I was able to show them off to a friend/fellow WESBOC birder.

Last Summer I saw my first good view of a Latham's Snipe there and Black-tailed Native Hens, another rare record for Phillip Island and all within full view of the carpark!

Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island