birding-aus

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:44:40 +1100

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:44:40 +1100
From: "Sunrise On Serra" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:49:17 +1100 (EST)
Hi all you birders,

Did our Sunday morning relaxation birding to and around our normal haunts;Fresh-water Lake and Bryans Swamp in Grampians, close to Dunkeld. Several different birds to last week,  following the highlight of my week being an Eastern Spinebill happily visiting my garden to the delight of two English guests who were also in wonder of a pair of Suburb Blue Wrens in close proximity. The freshness of their delight in spotting several emus grazing  makes one realize the uniqueness of our local bird species.

Suberb Blue Wren
Yellow-tailed Cockatoos
White-throated Tree-creeper
Masked Lap-wings
Pacific Back Ducks
Purple Swamp Hens
Eurasian Coots
Black Swans
Emus
Hoary Headed Grebe
Black-winged Stilts
Sharp-tailed Sandpipers
Shelducks
White-Faced Herons
Pacific Herons
Tree Martins
Welcome Swallows
Corellas
Galahs
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Australian White Ibis
Richards Pipits
Willy Wagtails
Restless Flycatcher-pair
Yellow-billed Spoonbills
Royal Spoonbills
Great Egrets
Intermediate Egrets
New Holland Honey-eaters
Crimson Rosellas
Pallid Cuckoo
Kookaburra-quite close
Whiskered Terns-large flock on Bryans Swamp
Pair of Black-shouldered Kites,wonderfully close on overhead tree.
Rufous Whistler-heard only
Yellow-rumped Thornbills
Pied Currawong
Rainbow Bee-eater,fleeting observation by two excited observers..
Red Wattle-birds.
Little Wattle-birds

I have been keeping records for the last twelve months of birds spotted in my own back-yard, and have reached the tally of eight honey-eaters so far: Red-Wattle Bird, Little Wattle-Bird, New Holland, Yellow-faced,White-plumed,White Eared,Brown-headed, and now  Eastern Spine-bill,

Happy birding everyone,
Margaret

Sunrise on Serra B & B
Dunkeld 3294