birding-aus

Penrice Saltfields, Friday 13th Sept

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Penrice Saltfields, Friday 13th Sept
From: Philip Griffin <>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 02:19:27 -0400
Greetings,

I spent a few hours at Penrice Saltfields (north of Adelaide, SA) this
morning.
Whilst nothing was startling, there were possibly a few things worth
reporting
amongst the 65 or so species I saw in about 3 hours.
Note: I'm not a frequent visitor to the site, this is probably my 6th trip
or so,
more regular observers may not find the following out of the ordinary:

a Wedge-tailed Eagle was sitting on one of the roads between salt lakes;
I haven't seen this species here before.

32 Eastern Curlew (and a single Whimbrel) in a semi-dry muddy lake;
largest group of these I've seen here.

Small groups of both Elegant and Blue-winged Parrots very obligingly
perching on fence posts around the saltbush marshes.

3 deer leaping through the saltbush.  Does anyone know which species
this is and what their status is at Penrice?  I haven't seen deer here
before.

Cheers

Philip Griffin