birding-aus

Online Australian birdlists

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Online Australian birdlists
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:21:21 +1000
g'day Richard & others.

(I have expanded this reply to include items that may be of interest to other list members)

It all depends who we accept as "the authority" for provide such lists.
Most of us, I believe still accept the RAOU Monograph 2 by Les Christidis & Walter Boles as "the list"

But the list provided by the Australian Museum which is available at
http://www.amonline.net.au/birds/stuff/bird_list.htm
has updated that list to include species accepted by the Records Appraisal Committee of Birds Australia.

Walter Boles does much of his work at that Museum
so the list should be quite current.

For interest the BA Rarities Committee decisions are at

The Museum list indicates location using the standard Christidis and Boles codes
LH = Lord Howe Island
N   = Norfolk Island
M   = Macquarie Island
H   = Heard Island
C   = Christmas Island
CK = Cocos-Keeling Island
TS = Torres Strait islands

It does It does not incorporate taxonomic revisions subsequent to Christidis and Boles ...
"any changes will be reflected here when it is published."

For your interest I have amalgamated the various species published in the various Field Guides, C & B etc.
It is available in the Downloads section of the Birds Queensland Web Page at http://birdsqueensland.org.au/

There is another list (that I cannot find) issued by a Gov't Dept (Dep't of Env ?) that includes the potential splits (e.g. the Albatrosses) and I think used by the Aust Bird Study Ass. Somebody may care to remind or correct me.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.