birding-aus

Dear dilemma'd of Waikerie who writes

To: Peter Waanders <>
Subject: Dear dilemma'd of Waikerie who writes
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:40:22 -0700 (PDT)

G'day dilemma'd Peter of Waikerie who writes:

Hi all,

I have been presented with a dilemma, and I think I'm not alone. As you would have noticed I have been in the habit of placing information on birding-aus about interesting sightings at Gluepot and surroundings, and have done so in good faith.

And your info has been greatly appreciated by many that I know.

It appears now that this information has been deliberately mis-used by a poacher who is out at or near Gluepot as I write this attempting to poach Striated Grasswrens (and who knows what else).

Has the federal police been contacted as yet? many poachers work hand in glove with smugglers and others.

Not long ago I received an email asking about access to Gluepot which seemed
a bit suspicious to me but the name of the sender didn't match our "suspect"
records,

TREAT ALL AS SUSPECTS!!!!!

and so I replied, and only afterwards I remembered how easy it is for someone to take on a fake identity on the net - I myself have been the subject of such deliberate actions on birding-aus twice.

Thank goodness says thee red headed Pen-Gwynne that Yahoo more then adequately checks all that signs up for them eh? ISP's can help some more, to back up, and then again there's some great hush hush programs.

But should I not reply and run the risk that genuine birdwatchers miss out?

Peter, if I were you I would just tell those asking for information, you know of the bird species, and a personal visit by those asking for info is required. Just say you love the birds and wish to protect them from poachers, that will not offend anyone wishing to visit.

Should I stop replying to requests about access and weather and road conditions?

Well Peter most of this is available elsewhere on the net? the weather and road conditions most certainly is.

Should I take the website down?

I don't see why? but I do see why you feel Australia has the world's most poorly equipped federal police force on the face of this planet? to deal with situations like these.

Should I stop telling everyone about Scarlet-chested parrots, (subject to a major decline in the late 70's due to poaching), and whatever else? The sightings of these birds during April-June have led to around 80 people from outside SA visit Gluepot, with all the added benefits to the reserve.

When I get an email from a person wanting to know this and that about a certain bird species I ask them for a return snail mail address or and their home phone number.

Do all of us do the same? nothing beats a face to face contact to help with a process of verification, and a happy family snap type photo taken when you meet certainly assists.

Yawls sinned cere Lee, Pen_Gwynne related to Marg-Eggy that poops.

Do You Yahoo!?