birding-aus

A fantastic Day Birding in Sydney's Northern Beaches 8th September 2002

To: Edwin Vella <>,
Subject: A fantastic Day Birding in Sydney's Northern Beaches 8th September 2002
From: Penelope Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 05:30:09 -0700 (PDT)
Well Edwin, you did much better than we did Saturday
morning.

Once again I dipped on that Pitta. But we did get
super views of a Baillons Crake, Australian Spotted
Crake and the lonely Snipe. We also heard a
Channel-billed Cuckoo calling (anyone else heard or
seen one this season?) when we were at the so-called
Pitta site, and at 6.30 am, on my way to Warriewood,
coming past Narrabeen Lake just before the left turn
to Deep Creek Dog training area (coming from Sydney on
Wakefield Parkway) an Osprey was sitting on top of a
dead casuarina. We also didn't find any Black Bitterns
there - walked up Deep Creek as far as the waterfalls.
Two Azure Kingfishers fishing in the area past the
Peregrine rock face (no peregrines), Shining-bronze
Cuckoos calling and a Swamp Harrier flew over the dog
area, a moment after we heard a Whistling Kite
whistle.

Would like to add that the Warriewood Boardwalk and
further walk up Mullet Creek, from Katoa Road, is a
wonderous place for birds - we saw 56 species Saturday
7 Sept - although we did spend 4.5 hrs there!

Have just returned home to Sydney, having visited my
new house in Gloucester, to where I am moving in the
next few weeks - saw a Wedgetail Eagle at a road kill
and shortly after a Pheasant Coucal on a fence post,
right in the open, bit n-w of Stroud. This area is a
great place for birds.