birding-aus

A fantastic Day Birding in Sydney's Northern Beaches 8th September 2002

To: <>
Subject: A fantastic Day Birding in Sydney's Northern Beaches 8th September 2002
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 21:52:52 +1000

Spring has sprung here in Sydney (or should I say summer!) with a fairly warm day (in the mid to high twenties) enjoyed by many. I decided to bird today in some places that I have not yet explored within the Sydney region (I thought I would have covered all the good places in Sydney already during my 15 years of birding) and I was surprised with what these sites produced in terms of a good mix of birds. I thank Bruce Cox for letting us now the existence and the good birds seen in these places all amazingly within about 30 km of the Sydney CBD.

The first area I visited was the small reserve along Irrawong Road where I was lucky to get some great views of a beautiful adult NOISY PITTA. It was feeding as were Bruce Cox and few others had seen it recently below a group of Cabbage Palms near a small waterfall in a small area of rainforest. Despite these Pittas turning up in Sydney almost annually, this was my first one within the Sydney region, hence a Sydney tick! Also in this small patch of rainforest and in the nearby Swamp Mahogany forest were a group of 5 Topknot Pigeons showing very well and several Scarlet Honeyeaters. I also heard here some White-headed Pigeons, a few Olive-backed Orioles, a Lewin?s Rail and an Owlet Nightjar call a few times.

From here, I walked along the trail to the Warriewood wetlands (crossing Garden Street) and onto the boardwalk through some excellent wetland habitat. In this forest, some nicely plumaged male Variegated Wrens, many more Scarlet Honeyeaters were heard/seen, White-cheeked Honeyeaters were numerous and heard a few of both Lewin?s and Buff-banded Rails calling. Got a great view of a Latham?s Snipe out in the open in very good light in the more open part of the wetland, a Swamp Harrier and a pair of Black-shouldered Kites overhead, and in the tall reeds there were several Reed Warblers and a Tawny Grassbird (have not come across many of these Sydney though they are common further north in the Newcastle area).

 At the end of the stretch of board walk close to the Warriewood shopping centre got very good views of a pair of both Grey and Brown Goshawks (saw a female Brown harass a female Grey then later this female Brown was harassed by the smaller male Grey Goshawk. I also enticed the female Grey Goshawk to approach me closer by trying to imitate its call).

As I was walking back, I bumped into both Dion Hobcroft and Murray Lord who had just seen a Spotless Crake close to the boardwalk and we sooner headed back to the reserve along Irrawong Rd to find the Noisy Pitta again, and we did this time under the vines to the left hand side of the track further along the walk and past the small waterfall.

All 3 of us then headed to nearby Deep Creek Reserve in the hope of finding a Black Bittern that usually resides here though unfortunately we were all unlucky not to see this one. Too many dog trainers in the park area may have something to do with it however Dion and Murray did find a Mangrove Heron along the creek.

Before lunch, we headed a little further along the northern beaches to briefly look around Careel Bay at Avalon where the highlight here was a Bush Stone-curlew.

After Dion and Murray had called it day birding wise, I then proceeded to another spot that Bruce often visits and that is the Red Hill Park at Oxford Falls. Just before I got out of my car there I had a good look of a smart plumaged male Brush Bronzewing feeding beside the car park. After seeing this, I went for a short stroll through the heath and encountered another (this time a good view of a female) Brush Bronzewing beside the trail and also heard a couple of Bar-shouldered Doves, Brown-headed Honeyeaters and saw atleast one Double-barred Finch amongst a group of Red-browed Firetails in the casuarinas.

I made a brief stop at Jamieson Park beside Narrabeen Lakes where I did not see that much apart form another 7 Topknot Pigeons flying over.

I decided to spend the last few hours of daylight back at the Warriewood wetlands were I was rewarded with good views of a Spotless Crake and 2 Baillons Crakes. I heard the Lewin?s Rails again and may have just glimpsed one running through the reeds. Some Little Lorikeets were also heard overhead.

Edwin Vella