birding-aus

Outback Twitchathon results

Subject: Outback Twitchathon results
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:56:28 +1000
The following Outback Twitchathon results have come through from Frances
Czwalinna

Team                                           Location of Twitchathon
Results

Whacked Out Woodswallows        NW NSW 129
Bourke Bustards                          Bourke/Cobar, NSW     111
Mallee Foulups                            Tibooburra/Wentworth, NSW   111
Orange Chatters                           Kidman Way, NSW     110
Sooty Slickers                             SW Qld               97
Rylstone Curlews                         SW Qld/NSW        93
Berkeley Vale Bustards                Qld             85
Crows, The                                  Nth WA                84
Outback Tropicbirds                      W.Qld, NT           82
Habichats                                    Hillstone to Ivanhoe, NSW
81
Fowl Play                                    Willandra NP, NSW          77

Bowra Babblers                            Bowra, NSW (Qld ???)     70
Flying Finnies                              Wyndham WA         68
Newhaven Wanderers (Emu Tours) Newhaven Reserve                       57
CBOC at Newhaven (Emu Tours)    Newhaven Reserve                      54
Peripatetic Penguins, The             NT Haasts Bluff Aboriginal Lands 50

Outback Tropicbirds                      W.Qld, NT           82
Wobbly Erphorbia's                       White Cliffs NSW       Did not
participate

There have been a number of reports on birding-aus that clearly indicated
that participants had a great time.  I personally think the number of
teams participating was great although perhaps down on what we expected
had much (all?) of the inland not been in the grip of a drought.  I'm sure
this put a few people off.  A number of teams participated simply to take
part and raise money which was the spirit in which this one-off event was
meant.

The conditions in which the twitchathon was conducted certainly made for
interesting birding.  I know that the Whacked-Out Woodswallows had to work
very hard for their birds with a number of species that you would expect
completely missed.  Many other species, particularly small seed and insect
eaters, were found to be much scarcer than they have been during the last
couple of very good years.

Frances is still collecting money from teams so at this stage we don't
know how much was raised for Newhaven.

Thanks to everyone that participated or sponsored a team

David Geering

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.